Helping an existing foundation such as the Akron offices of the John S. and James L. Knight, the GAR Foundation, the Akron Community Foundation, or the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank is a great way to dive right in.
- The Foodbank, like many other nonprofits, has a group just for young professionals. CORE allows motivated, energetic young professionals expand their networks while fighting hunger.
- Emerging Leaders United recognizes young leaders who value philanthropy and support the work of the United Way. UW Summit County takes on issues that matter most to children and families. It works to raise reading levels for Akron Public Schools students and the college and career readiness of those students. It also empowers working poor families and battles the opiate crisis by reducing overdoses.
- For 64 years the Akron Community Foundation has been a trusted way to give to a favorite cause through a variety of charitable funds.
- The Young Black Professionals Coalition focuses on the personal, professional and social development of future leaders, including high school and college students,
- The Young Professionals of Akron is for anyone growing in their career. The group connects young people to each other and the region through community and social events.
- Leadership Akron (LA) offers a variety of programming to leaders of different ages and career levels. Its Insight:AKRON program helps relocated executives. Each LA class takes on a philanthropic project funded by the United Way of Summit County.
- Torchbearers, an independent affiliate of LA, strengthens the connection between nonprofits and emerging leaders. The two groups find ways to enhance the lives and careers of members.
- The Greater Akron Chamber’s Young Professionals Network provides members an in-depth opportunity to access and learn from community and corporate leaders such as Joe Kanfer (GOJO) and Nick Browning (Huntington Bank) while networking with like-minded peers.
- For more ideas or to find your niche, Business Volunteers Unlimited educates volunteers and conducts business-philanthropy matchmaking in Northeast Ohio.